Public Health — (336) 703-3100
Social Services — (336) 703-3800
Behavioral Health — (336) 703-2781
Bridges to Hope — (336) 776-3255

Economic Services

Services to Adults, families, and children that
contribute to the families' financial and economic stability.

Child Care Assistance - 336-703-3800.

The Child Care Assistance Program provides subsidized daycare for children from birth through age 12 whose family meets the income and other program priority criteria. This program helps families afford childcare by sharing the cost of care. Most parents must pay a fee, depending on the size of their family and their income. The availability of assistance is dependent upon funding availability and service priorities.  

The Crisis Intervention Program serves individuals and families experiencing a heating or cooling related crisis. Applicants can present a final notice or past due utility bill and must have a health-related or life-threatening emergency to potentially be eligible for crisis funds. Life-threatening is defined as a household with no heating or cooling source or has a disconnect notice for their primary heating or cooling service, and the health or well-being of a household member would be in danger if the heating or cooling crisis were not alleviated. This program can assist with the amount needed to avoid disconnection within three days of the disconnect day, up to $600.00 per fiscal year, or until state funds are exhausted. Each household must apply at each time of crisis.   

Telephone: Call Center Number 336-703-3800.

The Food and Nutrition Services - 336-703-3800

program provides nutrition benefits to supplement the monthly food budget of eligible households to purchase healthy food and move towards self-sufficiency. Monthly benefits are issued to recipients via an Electronic Benefits Transfer card (EBT card) to buy food. The monthly benefit amount each household receives is determined by multiple eligibility factors, including the number of people in the household, total income, and allowable deductions.   

If you want to provide any information for your pending application or case, please email it to

Public Notice - LIEAP Block Grant Plan
Detailed Model Plan (LIHEAP)

The Low-Income Energy Assistance Program is a federally funded program that provides a one-time annual energy provider payment to help eligible families pay their heating bills. Households, including a person aged 60 or older or disabled persons receiving services through the NC Division of Aging and Adult Services, can sign up for assistance from Dec. 1 – 31. All other households may apply from Jan. 1 to March 31 or until funds are exhausted. 

Telephone: Call Center Number 336-703-3800.

Social Workers in the Employment Center work with any DSS customer who has an employment need such as:

  • Thorough Social Work assessments of customer’s strengths/needs in the areas of employment, family issues, health/mental health needs, etc.
  • Computer Lab use for things such as: resume assistance, access to job leads, job searching, mock interviews, hiring events with local employers, and workshops.
  • Explaining and enrolling Food and Nutrition Services recipients in the Food and Nutrition Services Employment and Training Program.
For more information, call Employment Services at 336-703-3800.

Work First Employment Services
Work First Family Assistance provides temporary cash assistance to families in need. Services are available to applicants and recipients of Work First to address individual needs relating to employment, remove barriers to success, and work toward independence and self-sufficiency.

Work First Emergency Assistance
Social Workers evaluate and, if appropriate, assist customers with sporadic emergency needs such as rent and utility bills and refer them to Community Resources.

All Work First Programs require a related child in the home under 18 years old, meeting income guidelines, among other requirements.

Find Us on Social Media

Public Health

Social Services

Animal Shelter

Public Health

799 North Highland Avenue
Winston Salem, NC 27101
Phone: 336-703-3100
Fax: 336-748-3292

Social Services

741 North Highland Avenue
Winston Salem, NC 27101
Phone: 336-703-3400
Fax: 336-748-3292

Bridges to Hope

725 North Highland Avenue
Winston Salem, NC 27101
Phone: 336-776-3255

Animal Shelter

5570 Stturmer Park Circle
Winston Salem, NC 27105
Phone: 336-703-2480