Check out the latest edition of The Bulletin Board, Forsyth Community Gardening’s bimonthly newsletter!

¡Lea la última edición del Boletín del Programa de Huertos Comunitarios!

Are you interested in starting a community garden in Forsyth County? Please visit our Start a Garden page to learn about the process and access resources to help you get started.

¿Está interesado en comenzar un huerto comunitario en el Condado de Forsyth? Por favor lea nuestra Guía para Comenzar un Huerto Comunitario para aprender sobre el proceso y acceder a recursos que le ayudarán a comenzar.

1450 Fairchild Road
Winston-Salem, NC 27105


West Salem

  1. West Salem501 S Green St
    Winston-Salem, NC 27101

The West Salem Community Garden is located at the intersection of South Green Street and Bank Street. 95% of the produce goes to the homeless and indigenous people of our neighborhood. The remaining 5% goes to the gardeners. The garden is planted in ground. From 2004 to 2010 the garden was divided into personal plots and the gardeners could plant anything they wished. In 2011 the garden was divided half of the garden into common land where we planted Greens, Tomatoes, Leaf Lettuce,Cabbage, Purple Hull Peas,String Beans,Cucumbers, Zucchini and Yellow Squash and the other half was used for personal plots We did this so we could control the rotation of crops.

At a West Salem Neighborhood Association meeting in the spring of 2004 Del Perry- who was not at the meeting -was volunterred by his wife Dee to head up the garden. The next day he went to Piedmont Bible College which is now Piedmont International University and asked if the community garden could use their land on the corner of South Green Street and Bank Street which is next to his property (he lets the garden use his water at their expense). Piedmont said yes and the garden has been going strong since then. Our garden is limited to the residents of West Salem consisting of approimately 1200 people.

We do not lease plots. Sign up is on a first come first serve basis prior to April 15th.

There is not a schedule, gardeners work at their convenience. We ask that they volunteer to mow the outside of the garden at least every 2 weeks or as needed. We can use volunteers to help with weeding.

Produce is picked early in the day, put in bags and hung on the fence for people to pick up. The West Salem Community Garden has grown in size from 1,600 sq feet in 2004 to 5,700 sq feet for the 2012 season.

  • Greg Levoniuk
  • 336-971-0699
  • Websites: